HeartsOnFireReviews

Hearts On Fire Reviews

We read and review for the love and joy of books.

Amy Lane – Candy Man

Candy Man - Amy  Lane

Reviewer: Lucy

Genre: MM Contemporary

Review: There are two Amy Lanes – the very angst-filled, need a bunch of tissues Amy and the very sweet and happy Amy. This story is firmly in the second Amy camp and my favorite kind of Amy to read.

In this one, Adam Macias has had so much crap handed to him as part of his life, you wonder that the man isn’t homicidal. A seriously messed up childhood with little love, verbal abuse, a coming out that makes you want to cry for him and a lover he thought actually loved him who betrayed him in the worst way. (Just a side note, I so wanted Robbie to get his). Through it all, his goal was to make something of himself. School with his artistic talent to do something he loves. His dead car kills that idea and now he’s down to one step above homeless. Luckily, the single positive person in his life, cousin Rico, has offered him a chance, one he’s definitely taking.

Adam is going to take care of Rico’s huge dog, his wicked cat and his apartment. And he’s going to get a job. Which he does, at Candy Heaven, who’s owner, Darrin, is cool and weird at the same time. I mean, the Pixie Stix thing?

It’s here that he meets the completely unblemished by life Finn. Finn himself admits he’s never been hurt so it’s very easy to be fearless. He has the completely opposite life from Adam. He’s loved, above all else.

So begins the dance between the two of them, as the effervescent Finn waits for the terrified Adam to realize he will be Finn’s. It’s adorable. While Finn is the happy one, Adam is the one that makes the heartfelt comments. “You’re like green goop for my heart, you know?” and “It’s like…I owe the world, you know?” Even more wrenching, “…could you not tell me until after Christmas? Because I…I never had someone for Christmas and I just…” Oh Adam.

The conversation with Rico at the end, another heart breaker. I so want to hear his story.

Source: http://heartsonfirereviews.com/?p=31708