HeartsOnFireReviews

Hearts On Fire Reviews

We read and review for the love and joy of books.

Andrea Speed – Infected Paris

Infected: Paris - Andrea Speed

Reviewer: Vivian

Genre: M/M Pararnormal

Review:
How did Roan and Paris get together? Well, it went a little like this...

It starts with a case Roan is working as a private detective and then spirals until it pulls in all the relevant issues both dealing with the AU setup and introducing the guys for the first time. I loved Paris and Roan, so I was eager to find out more about them. There's a small case to solve and a lead in to the first book in the series: INFECTED, and in between that there's the tidbits and meetings that flesh out how Paris and Roan came to be together. I really wish there had been more of their relationship. I guess I was hoping for more, to stretch out their story further. So a little disappointed there.

For those who haven't read any books in the series, starting here is not a problem. One gets a good grasp of both the world and the main characters involved. It's like a taster for the Infected world. Of course, being greedy I was hoping for more of Roan and Paris's relationship, but there are few details other than how Roan compartmentalizes things and I got a better idea of both their mindsets going into the relationship and it makes the trajectory of it much more logical.

The case itself is ancillary and the lead in for the first book is hinted at multiple times while Paris and Roan weave themselves together. I had forgotten how bitter, cynical, and scathing Roan's inner dialogue is. It's amusing, but also came across much more prejudiced in regards to race and socioeconomics than I recall from the other stories I read. It's snide comments that aren't comedic, which would be following the rules of a societal inferior mocking a dominant position, just racist and classist. Needless to say, it illustrates Roan's anger and resentment at being ostracized his entire life.

He’d discovered it early in life, with PBS repeats of Monty Python and the knowledge that life was fucking absurd. To its core, life seemed to be a farce that ended in tragedy, or at least it seemed that way from his viewpoint.

This series is a social commentary. It's not hard to draw parallels between the cat virus and AIDS. It raises questions about what we're doing and how we're treating people. How we as a society define humanity and how we reject the abject.

Overall, less Roan and Paris than I hoped, but a solid foundation to understanding them as a couple.

Favorite exchange:

“I don’t care what you say, Roan, you’re the sexiest guy I’ve ever met.”
“Look in the mirror,” Roan told him. “At best, I could only be second.”