HeartsOnFireReviews

Hearts On Fire Reviews

We read and review for the love and joy of books.

Gale Stanley – The Rules

The Rules (Scenes from the Underground Book 1) - Gale Stanley

Reviewer:SheReadsAlot

Genre: MM BDSM

Review:

THREE HEARTS--You know how Bazooka Joe bubble gum came with the comics attached? I used to love those, it was a comic for 5 cents. Do they still make those? *searches on ye old internet* Yes, it is! The reason why I liked those comics back then was because I was 1) a kid and 2) was on a budget. So they amused me. A comic book would rock but this is all you got - a page of funnies.

Anyway, this was like reading a BDSM Bazooka Joe bubble gum comic.

(See, I had a point.)

Long story short - this should have been at least a novella.

This is the first in a series, I don't know if it will continue with the same couple or a new one. Too many awesome topics/ideas, too condensed, not enough impact.

This novella had a LOT of my go to thing that I love: GINGER TWINK RENT BOY (*squees*), abused, raped, damaged MC, an orphan MC, hurt/comfort, a care-taking Dom, flogging, PUBLIC SEX. Oh, this was a jackpot in the topic department.

But the rushed suspense, too quick ILY...*smh* And was this set in America present time? Because if this was alternate universe, I'll bump my rating to maybe a half star. Since the tags state contemporary, it sticks. What was with the weird police chief villain> Or the unresolved ending to the abuse/kidnap/non-con (off page)?

Wil is a Dom looking for a permanent boy. He likes gingers (can't fault the man for taste) and sees his one true boy in Aiden Murphy, a ginger twink who has a rough life and had to resort to tricking to survive. (insert my happy grin here). Wil got chills seeing his future boy and saw how untrained he was. He had to scoop him up and fuck him for all to see he's been claimed. But there was a problem - the evil police chief-wanna be Dom. He steals Aiden and forces him into sex slavery.

Now I hope the author was trying to teach about SSC BDSM with the errors in the way Aiden was treated this because the way Aiden said he didn't have a safe word - made me pause. And the reptition about the Rules. I got the message - it could've been toned down for me a little.

Wil did a good job of taking care of Aiden when he could, though the last scene? Shouldn't have happened the night the boy just returned in his arms. Too quick. Ruined the experience. If it kept it light, nixed the villain and just focused on training the resistant twink who didn't know he was a sub? I'd have eaten this story up. As it was, I didn't. I enjoyed the main elements but wished this was longer -too dense for a Romance-on-the-Go.

I'd try out the next one in the series, for a look see. The sex scenes sizzled.

Source: http://heartsonfirereviews.com/review-gale-stanley-the-rules