HeartsOnFireReviews

Hearts On Fire Reviews

We read and review for the love and joy of books.

Mickie Ashling – Enforcing Emory

Enforcing Emory - Mickie B. Ashling

Reviewer: Victoria

Genre: M/M Contemporary

Review:
Emory Lowe is an Olympic skater and at the top of his game. He is surrounded by a close and loving family who is aware of his sexuality. His family has protected Emory from people who can hurt him because of it. Emory is a very open character who seems to jump off the pages of the book. I admire his courage to do what he loves so much.

Nikolai Vetrov has just moved across the street from Emory. He is the newest addition to the Chicago Wolves hockey team. Nik’s parents are closed minded and seem to want to run Nik’s life for him, as if they are trying to live their own lives through him. It’s apparent pretty quickly that Nik’s relationship with his parents, and especially his father, is abusive. However, I don’t think Nik’s mother even realizes how bad it is because she is so dependent on Nik’s father, Igor. Now that Nik is broadening his horizons, he is falling in love with Emory.

The chemistry between Emory and Nik is blistering. They make a great pair. I love how Emory’s family is so protective of Nik and has welcomed him into the family with open arms. I admired Nik’s courage as he tried to protect his father as well as himself, and Emory. Nik had to make too many hard decisions that will affect him the rest of his life at such a young age.

I found this book well written with a unique plot. The main characters and the secondary characters were fascinating. While the ending was a little predictable, this book kept me on my toes all the way though and I had a hard time putting it down. While I loved the ending, it still felt a bit unfinished and I hope there is a sequel to see how Emory and Nik do farther down the road.

Source: http://heartsonfirereviews.com/review-mickie-ashling-enforcing-emory