HeartsOnFireReviews

Hearts On Fire Reviews

We read and review for the love and joy of books.

Kate Sherwood – Dark Horse

Dark Horse: Dark Horse Series - Kate Sherwood, Peter B. Brooke

Reviewer: Stephen

Genre:M/M Ménage

Review:

I first read Dark Horse in in its print format in February of 2014 and at the time I gave it 5 stars. Now, more than a year later, I've listened to the audio version and feel that the audiobook version is great as well.

In some parts the audiobook format made the story new again and it worked even better than before. I generally have a problem with male narrators "doing" female voices and that happens in a number of spots in this tale. Yet, narrator, Peter B. Brooke gives credible and distinctive voices and accents to so many of the characters that inhabit this tale, that amid the accents and characterizations, I pretty much got past my initial difficulties.

Oftentimes a M/M story involving more than two main characters devolves into a long, sometimes repetitive smut-fest but that's not the case in this tale. The sex is certainly one of the motivating factors in this story. All three main characters are well envisioned and complete characters in themselves and that depth adds to the strength of their mutual attraction. The supporting characters are also well developed and they bring their own appeal to the overall tale. Finally the setting, the world of eventing and the horses and people that inhabit it, are well researched and presented and much much more than mere details to add variety to some cookie-cutter m/m/m fantasy.

By all means, I'd recommend this story to any fans of M/M fiction, particularly those that enjoy a well crafted story with well developed characters; Characters motivated by the baggage that they bring and the events we see and not just some two dimensional constructs inhabiting a fantasy.

Source: http://heartsonfirereviews.com/audio-review-kate-sherwood-dark-horse