HeartsOnFireReviews

Hearts On Fire Reviews

We read and review for the love and joy of books.

SPOILER ALERT!

T.J. Parsell – Fish: A Memoir of a Boy in a Man’s Prison

Fish: A Memoir of a Boy in a Man's Prison - T.J. Parsell

Reviewer: Danny

Genre:M/M Prison

Review:
** Spoiler alert **

Early in his memoirs, T.J. Parsell doesn't yet know that he is gay. He wondered about that, but he makes a young woman pregnant. He discovers his homosexuality in prison. The theme of his memoirs is entirely focused on his coming of age, his discovery of his homosexuality and his coming out.

But one day, he commits a crime: he robs a Fotomat with a toy gun. But US laws consider that even if the gun was a toy, Parsell nevertheless committed a robbery and he was sentenced and imprisoned for that crime.

He was repeatedly raped in prison until Slide Steps "offered" himself as his protector. Later, at his final prison, Parsell meets Paul King and falls in love with him. King teaches him how to survive in prison.

At the end of his incarceration, Parsell returned home, continued his studies and became vice president of a computer firm. He participated in many groups to help prisoners in general, but especially to teach them to avoid prison rapes. Subsequently, a law was passed allowing prisoners to denounce their rapists, which they could not do before.

This is good book, especially if you are interested in any aspect of homosexuality and sex among inmates. It offers an encouraging perspective in the sense that the author managed to get through it all and fared very well in his life outside jail.

"Fish" is better written than "I cried, You Didn't Listen", a book addressing the same topic that I read lately. Parsell is more educated, so he knows English better. He even allows a few small jokes regarding how some prisoners talk, "But for the moment, I was preoccupied with trying to figure out if, don't lose no good time was a triple negative, and if so, did that mean I didn't want to don't lose no, or if I wanted to not don't lose some?" loll

"Don't lose no good time" was said by another prisoner at the beginning of Parsell's incarceration.

Two instructive quotes:

"According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, we house 2.2 million prisoners in the United States--more than any other country in the world. And an estimated 13.5 million more pass through the justice system each year, including over 100,000 teenagers who are housed in adult facilities.

Sexual violence is a crime that preys on the vulnerable. In some states, children as young as fourteen have been sentences to adult facilities, and in many cases, they fit the profile of likely sexual assault victims because they are small in stature and inexperienced in the ways of prisons."

"Most people who want to be tough on crime don't care what happens to inmates. But they should care, because 95 percent of all prisoners are eventually released back into society, indelibly marked by the violence they have seen or experienced."

But I nonetheless preferred "I cried, You Didn't Listen" written by another convict named Dwight (Sonny) Abbott. Perhaps I preferred it because I read it first. But I think this is mostly due to the fact that Sonny was first jailed when he was only eight years old without ever having committed any crime and that his experience was so significant and brutal that he could not cope. He is seventy-two years old now and is living in a kind of hospital facility for inmates, which he'll probably never get out of. I found "I Cried..." story more significant mainly because it not only emphasizes the prisoners' sexuality, but it describes also all other forms of violence, abuse and every difficulties prisoners face each day of their life.

So I give "Fish" 4 hearts.

Source: http://heartsonfirereviews.com/review-t-j-parsell-fish-a-memoir-of-a-boy-in-a-mans-prison