HeartsOnFireReviews

Hearts On Fire Reviews

We read and review for the love and joy of books.

Bollocks! Anthology

Bollocks! - Tabitha McGowan, H. Lewis-Foster, Taylin Clavelli, L.J. Harris, Lily Velden, Anyta Sunday, Elin Gregory, Greg Skipper

Reviewer: Sandra

Genre:M/M anthology

Review:
Anthologies can be hit or miss with what you get, generally I consider it a good one if most stories are in the 3 star range, with a few ones or twos, and a few fours and fives. I really only loved one of these stories, so I wouldn't consider it the best anthology I've read, but the majority were enjoyable. Certainly if you see that a handful of the stories on here catch your eye, I think it's worth getting the grouping instead of buying them individually. I read this quicker than usual since I was reviewing it, but this would be great to keep on your Nook or Kindle for when you want an easy and quick read, and pick and chose which stories you want to read over time.

Healing by Tabitha McGowan 2.75 stars (fantasy, no sex) - This was a really interesting story about a young healer in a world where witches are dissected by the government when caught. Bartholomew forms a bond with a man he heals, although unfortunately, it ends when it should begin! There were a lot of components here that I think could have been fleshed out really well into a full length story with some real meat to it.

Sheep's Clothing by Elin Gregory 3.5 stars (paranormal romance, shifters) - This was a sweet and funny little story that gives us something different from the usual werewolf shifter stuff. I believed Darren and Gareth's connection. It felt a tad fast but they brushed over a few weeks between the initial get-together and the climax, so that put a longer time frame on it, which I appreciate.

No Worries Mate by E.S. Skipper DNF (contemporary) - Very odd story behind this author and some suspicious behavior, not sure if it affected how I felt about this story, but I just couldn't get into it. Jake was an ass, about pretty much everything. Then Rangi was an ass, about Jake accidentally almost bringing two grains of wheat onto the island. It was just weird and I really didn't care at all. Maybe I'll try again later.

It Could Be You by Anyta Sunday 3 stars (contemporary, friends-to-lovers, GFY, no sex) - This was a short and sweet story from the POV of a young gay man who is on love with his straight BFF/roommate. Certainly a plot I've read before, but still enjoyable. Ted's explanation for all his lucky numbers (and that most of them have to do with Jensen) was really sweet.

Just like pulling teeth by L.J. Harris 3 stars (contemporary) - This is a sweet little story. It was a little slow to get going, with a few too many boring details about Aiden's life. But I liked seeing him and Sebastian interact once things got going. And the sex was certainly hot with a little unexpected role reversal. I didn't love everything, I'm not a fan of when a character is constantly "gasping" and dropping things and weak kneed simply from looking at an attractive person, and no one should be pressured into getting a tattoo. But overall a good short story.

DIY Delights by Taylin Clavelli 4 stars (contemporary, pre-exisiting couple, humorous) - This a short, fun, and silly little snippet. I'm not usually a fan of pre-existing couples, but since this spanned Duncan's entire history with the word 'Bollocks!' we still got a lot of variety. "Mike and I were like a pair of bollocks. One on it's own would be functional, but lost without the other."

In the Blue Moonlight by H. Lewis-Foster 2.5 stars (contemporary) - This wasn't bad, it was just a bit dull. Off to a fun and flirty start, things fizzle a bit once Simon and Mark actually start dating. I appreciate the authors attempt to put in a genuine relationship obstacle in order to make it feel more real. But I didn't find Simon's ultimatum playful, and I found Mark's final reveal awkward and anti-climactic. Unfortunately by then I had lost steam, so the sex scene didn't do anything for me (and I actually skimmed it!)

It’s Written in the Stars by Lily Velden 5 stars (contemporary, no sex) - Ohmygod with the motherfucking cuteness! I thought this was going to be a sneak-attack friends-to-lovers with Sebastian's friend Declan, but nope!, he really does go on the game show! Sweet and funny and sympathy sweaty palms, I thoroughly enjoyed this and had a smile on my face pretty much the entire time!