HeartsOnFireReviews

Hearts On Fire Reviews

We read and review for the love and joy of books.

Shira Anthony – Into the Wind

Into the Wind (Mermen of Ea Book 2) - Shira Anthony

Reviewer: Sandra

Genre: M/M Paranormal

Review:

I ended my review for book one with the sentence, "I'll continue on with the series, but we better get a lot of explaining in book 2!" Did they deliver? Well... sort of.

Taren has a lot of visions that fill us in on what happened to his parents, what happened to Owen, what happened to Triand after Owen, and in general surrounding the Rune Stone. So in that respect we got a lot more information and we weren't left with so many hanging questions at the end of this book. But I also don't feel like the book progressed the plot at all.

Same as with book one, I actually enjoyed the first half of the book most, which is the part where Taren is off on his own running and around and meeting new characters. In this case, the Dread Pirate Odhrán. While I enjoyed this part of the story and love this new character, it seems like a tangent that shouldn't have taken up so much of the book. As in book 1 when Taren and Ian are finally reunited I am a bit underwhelmed. I hear them talk about being soul-bound and I believe their undying love for each other, but I don't feel it. It doesn't make me cry with sadness or ache with longing or laugh with joy. It just is. And I actually fast forwarded through the sex scenes. There's nothing wrong with them, they just don't do anything for me and I wanted to get back to the plot. Blasphemous, I know.

This book focuses more on Taren's quest to find himself and learn his purpose, as opposed to the romance, and I actually like that choice. I started getting a little annoyed at his obliviousness to his growing powersand reluctance to use them in battle when it would have helped. And as with the off-topic Odhrán, the last chapter again felt random and unrelated. Yes, it's interesting, but I don't think the book should end focusing on someone other than Ian and Taren. I wasn't surprised by this new revelation, but did feel it was an obvious attempt to fuck with my emotions at the end of the book and pull me back to continue with book 3.

While I think the secondary characters in this series are wonderful, and I like their strong contribution to the plot, I feel as if it either needs to be less or more. They're lives as of yet haven't been quite connected enough to the Ea for their stories to be interwoven, but if this is to be a romance series then their presence takes away some. Maybe getting their POV's would be helpful in this feeling more well-rounded.

I'm not sure where things will go from here, or how they'll be wrapped up. Despite my complaints, this is an interesting series and I plan to continue with it. The audio version is good. I don't have any issues with the narration or pacing, I think either reading or listening is a good option if you're interested in this series.

Source: http://heartsonfirereviews.com/audio-review-shira-anthony-into-the-wind